Monday, August 8, 2011

A Musically Inspired Idea: Clark's Crossing Honey Fest




We had been out of business since this Spring, but then a couple from La Broquerie called and said they were having a hard time finding a B&B in our area. Before, when people called I thought that maybe the flood wouldn't last and we would be re- opened for July. Now I think that we will be lucky to have the B&B ready before the snowfall. So I gave them the names of other B&Bs and told them to call me back if they couldn't find anything. I said that maybe we could try to figure something out. We are so glad that they did call back. Lynda and Gary stayed for two nights in seven year old son's bedroom. Don't worry, I had time to clear out all of his stuffed bears and make room for their upright bass and guitar. They were musicians on their way to a festival in Hartney. On Saturday night, they did a concert for us right in front of the house. The neighbours came from all directions with their lawnchairs and soon we had a crowd of about ten children and twenty or so adults. Everyone enjoyed it so much, there was something magical about sitting outside under the leaves with a pleasant breeze, puffed-wheat cake, coffee and iced-tea and the harmonies of their bluegrass music. My dad, with a big smile on his face said, "Sheila, you should do this every year!" Even the roosters sang along and the dog, Tibo was very happy playing at the end of the lawn where he was tied up, to keep us all safe from his slobbery mouth. This morning Gary told me that on their way back from Hartney they were chased by a storm and their cars were being hit by hailstones almost big enough to smash their windshields. My parents also drove through the storm in the car ahead of them, because they had gone to see them play at the Gospel Music Festival in Hartney. Their scary drive reminded me of our first guests' adventure making their way through the blizzard in December. Well, I always said that coming out here is not for the weak at heart. I mentioned my "unadvertising campaign" to Lynda, but sadly realised that I would not have met her if she had read my blog. She probably wouldn't have come here at all, since she is really scared of bees, but even with what she calls a "Bee Phobia", they enjoyed a very thorough tour of Ray's Honey House, including a visit to a beehive.

Out of this visit a very nice combination of ideas has evolved. Gary suggested doing something that would really celebrate all of what we love doing here. He said we should do something like an end of the year "Clark's Crossing Honey Festival", with artisans, musicians, a farmer's market and something amazing, like a maze for the kids, ha ha (a-maizing). Now that is a great recipe for fun. I don't have time to make a maze of corn, but we'll do something fun or maybe we'll just tell the kids to go get lost while we adults sit around and visit. Ha ha, just joking. I really doubt another blizzard or tornado would happen at the end of September, but we'll try to be prepared for anything. It is like reality t.v. in a way (Fear Factor) On Saturday night our guest from the Philppines did a video tape their outdoor concert on the lawn,and there was Lynda having to face her biggest fears, her phobia of bees as she toured the apiary!!! Congratulations Lynda, you did very well on your first visit to this "Honey Farm".

Speaking of honey, Lynda and Gary were a very loving and humorous couple. We all enjoyed their visit so much and I think that things have been sweeter around here ever since. We hope they will come back often. I now have a greater appreciation of how important it is to have Ray around to "visit" when I need to do anything in the kitchen. When I was trying to serve them breakfast on Sunday, I would forget things like getting the toast in or out of the toaster if I sat down and started visiting. If Ray can't be here, I will have to set up a "breakfast buffet" next time. Yes, I asked our son and he thought it was a good thing to lend his room out like that, although I did have to grease his palm royally and I forgot to pay the cook and the cleaner.

Bye for now.

Sheila

P.S. The chickens are all still alive and happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment