Monday, December 6, 2010

Cross-country Skiing at Clark's Crossing

I have to begin this blog by letting out a heartfelt thank you to Cam, the owner of A&L Cycle and Ski in Brandon who literally GAVE me lots of second hand cross-country skis for the guests at Clark's Crossing to use.  He also gave me a great deal on snow shoes.  We're set to go now.  Not only do we have a toboggan, we're totally equipped for you to come ski.   If you came today, you could grab some boots, poles and skis and get out there in the white stuff, only to return when you feel the urge for a 
hot chocolate.   

I was so excited that I lost count how many pairs of skis and poles and boots when in the car! I am sure there's enough for a large family of any size!  It is awesome.  I can invite my friends with their daughters or sons for a ski with me and the kids.   That all came about because I was there to pick up Ray's brand new skis and I asked if they had another bigger set for Aimée (second hand) for this year.  Then I got to telling the owner about opening the guest house and how I hope to eventually have enough equipment that guests could ski when they stay there.  So what does he do?  Cam, the owner of A&L  keeps coming up from the storage room with more pairs for me, apologizing that they need to be dusted off.  Yes, they are a bit older, but actually they are the same as the ones I still use and love.  

This is great if you don't have skis or have never tried skiing.  If you like it, then you can go back and buy some new swanky skis like the ones Ray has.  Actually, I saw a sign at A&L, they actually RENT cross-country skis, so I think you might be able to try out a pair of swanky nice skis if you wanted, for just $15 bucks I think.  One thing I like about Ray's new skis is that you could practically ski-skate with them, they are very well attached to the boot with two poles that pivot at the toe and one mid-way down.


We have a few choices here for cross-country skiing.   You can follow the groomed snowmobile trails, follow Grandpa's snowmobile trails that wind through the bush or blaze a  new trail yourself - that is a lot more exercise.... and it is actually a fun option if you've never tried it.  But if you like walking out in the fluffy stuff, then really I think the best thing to do is put on a pair of snowshoes and zigzag through the  woods where no man or woman has ever zug before.

  

If you really want a well groomed trail, just drive to Spruce Woods Park (40 minutes) where there are trails for all levels.  See the map above of one of our favourite places at Spruce Woods, there are warming shacks, beautiful trees and hills.  Brandon Hills also have groomed trails and it is less than half an hour from here.


Whether we go somewhere for a change of trails or stay here,  I wish more people would discover the peacefulness of getting out for a nice glide on the snow and a good workout.



Unlike downhill ski runs where the scenery stays the same every time down, cross-country skiing is a way to get out and explore a bigger area, without seeing of the same view twice.

We used our little slopes as bunny hills for the kids to try out downhill skis.  I towed this guy back home, it gave me a real workout on my cross-country skis.

I hope that I haven't made it all sound like too much exertion.  Really, you go your own speed, you go how far you want, then you turn right around and go warm up when you've had enough.  I can't wait to go out tomorrow.  I just got Ray's from the store and mine are waxed and ready to go.  Then I know I have a pile of work to do, but it'll wait, and when I get to it, I'll have more energy than ever, right????
Well, we'll see about that tomorrow.
Have a good night and I hope that happy thoughts are filling your heads with good dreams.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzsalut,
votre amie,
Sheila 


No comments:

Post a Comment